Monday, May 26, 2008

First Day In Camp

7/3/2008- I received an envelope with the National Service logo on it. I opened the envelope and on god! You must be jocking! I got to go to Terengganu for my ns training! That's so far... I wished they never picked me for that stupid training. I planned to use my asthma illness as an excuse and so, I went for a medical check-up. The so-called professions (doctors) didn't even checked properly and she crossed out the 'tidak layak' part. I like, hello? I'm an asthmatic patient. I thught asthmatic patients are excuse from PLKN...But the doctor said no... The sky seems to be falling down and I can't do anything about it... Then my mum tried to comfort me by saying " Look, you will be staying in a resort! Isn't that great?" Well, if that is God's decision, then i will go and don't know why i had a strong feeling that there is something God wants me to do in there...



So, I went to Stadium Shah Alam on 19/3/2008. I gave my bus ticket and i lined up in the row. While waiting, I scanned the whole place, finding for my friends and I found out that there were only 4 chinese girls in the line, including me! But then i realised there was only one indian girl, I felt relief all of the sudden. She definitely was one in the million. Later on, I saw a chinese guy wearing t-shirt and short pants lining up in the guy's queue. He walked in with his slippers, sun glasses and his funny looking hair in style. Then, another chinese guy walked in. To me, he was worst. He wore an old t-shirt, shorts, slippers and he has a really small bag with him. Not to mention empty too. How can they this kind of out fit on the first day? Suddenly, my mum called me from behind. She showed me my cousin, which was in the same camp as me. I knew that but for god's sake, my cousin was the second guy i mentioned above! That was the first time we met and he gave me a really bad first impression... Then, the teacher called our names and we get into our bus. Actually, I wanted to sit with one of the chinese girls but there were only single seats left. Why those who get into the bus earlier can't sit together? So, I have no choice but to sit with a malay girl, which I didn't talked to her anymore during the whole training. The time passed as slow as a snail. The 6 hours journey seems to meet no end. I can tell that I never had a peaceful moment in the bus in the whole journey. There was a malay boy who brought his wife (guitar) along and he played it and sang the whole time. Oh God he was so noisy!

Finally, we reached our camp. During registration, I lined behind a chinese girl. The teacher asked her "agama apa?" "Kristian" "proteston atau katolik?" "tak tau..." I like what the.... She don't know whether she is a proteston or a catholic? I just can't believe my ears. After registrating and have our bags checked, we headed toward the logistic to collect our bed sheets and blankets. The teacher told me that I'm in mess 12, where there's a sign board written Bakau 12. So, I carried all my stuffs and staretd looking for the so-called Bakau 12. Bakau 1, Bakau 2, Bakau 3... What was this? Why the numbers were so small? My hands were getting tired, my stuffs were getting heavier and heavier and the weather were killing me! It's so damn hot there! You called this a reort?! After entering the gate which separate the wiras and the wirawatis, I found Bakau 12 finally. I put my stuffs on an empty bed and went to collect my shirts and shoes and there was the place where I talked to the chinese girls, Shen Lee, Hui Sin and Alan? Oh, it's Ellen...

As usual, the malays like to tell "tunggu". We waited for our turn to collect our shirts and shoes. Peoples walking across us with boxes and plastics falling all over and we wondered how were we going to take ours later... When it's our turn, the teacher asked us to stand under the sun. Then suddenly, one of the female teacher yelled and pointing at us. Apparently pointing at me! I wondered why. Have i done anything wrong? She was saying "jeep! jeep! jeep!". "jeep"? What was she trying to tell? All of us went blur. At last, she was telling "zip", one of the malay girls forget to close her coffee shop.... Haiya...

Later, the teacher told us to gather. She said "12 wirawati yang baru sampai tadi", but there were only 10 of us. Then, we saw 2 chinese girls heading toward us with their huge box. "Boom!", their box fell, and we just stood where we were looking at them (very naughty hahaha). We greeted each other and started to chit-chat. That's when i met Qiao Yan and Lih Jia. They divided us in 4 companies, Alpha, Bravo, Charlie and Delta. Lih Jia in Alpha, Qiao Yan and me in Bravo, Hui Sin and Shen Lee in Charlie and Ellen in Delta. Thank God I'm not alone. Then I'm glad to know that all of them were in mess 12 too, except for Ellen in mess 14. After that, a piece of paper passed around the mess and we told Ellen that you will be one of mess 12 as soon as you write your name on it. Immediately Ellen wrote her name on it and she dragged all her stuffs to our mess, picking the last bed.

Mess 12 was like the mca meeting among the wirawatis. 90% of the chinese girls gathered in our mess because our mess was the mess with the most chinese, 9 of us. Some of the girls reaches camp one day earlier than us and they seemed to know everything already, especially Wai San. She explained all the do's and don'ts and where were where. Well, that's my first day in camp.


No comments: