Monday, March 2, 2009

International Sports A Waste of Resources??

This is the debate topic in my school today, STAR vs ACS. I was on duty today, so I get to listen to the whole debate from the beginning till the end hahahaha....

Is international sports a waste of resources? I think it depends on which resources you are reffering to. For example the Olympic Game in Beijing last year. In my opinion, they waste a lot of money for the fireworks. It is undenyable that it was really beautiful, but they have to spend a lot to manufacture the firecrackers and shooting bullets to the sky to prevent large clouds so that it won't rain on the big day. Furthermore, they were polluting the air. Beijing is already a polluted area, they spent so much money to purify the air in Beijing and yet they polluted it again by shooting millions of fireworks into the sky.

My school was the opposition and I think how they define waste was very good. Waste means something that you can't get anything back from it. Although China spent a lot of money in making this Olympic a success, the amount of money they earned was much more than the amount they have spent. They get people all over the world to know them and they have created another place for tourists to visit. So, Olympic did gave them some advantages. As a reslut, it was not a total waste.

Well, at the end, my school won and the third speaker from my school Ng Wee Jin won as the best speaker. So, ACSs, work harder next time hahahahaha...

No comments: